Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chevrons and Pinwheels!!

I have been working on step 2 of the Celtic Solstice quilt ALL WEEK and I am still not done!  I guess I am really not surprised that it is taking longer than a week for each step.  I picked the larger size to make and I still have to go to work and spend time with the family as well.  That being said, all I have remaining in step 2 is to sew the remaining 100 halves together as I have pieced the sides of each and have already completed the first 144 of them.  Here is the first one I did to make sure my seams were good and see how it looked for me.

Chevron #1

The next step is 1/2 square triangles and pinwheels!  I love pinwheels, they are super cute and fun to put in quilts!  Here is a pinwheel quilt I did many years ago... well, I pieced the top many years ago at least.  It was the first king size I put together and it is one of my favorites!

Pinwheels!!
I remember with this one I had all the fabric for the borders set aside and ready to put on and then I took several years off from quilting as life was just too hectic and we were living in a smaller place.  There was just not the time or the space to do anything. When I finally got around to putting on the borders I found that I had miscalculated the outer border and was short on fabric... by less than 6 inches!!!  As all that time had passed there was no way I was going to find the fabric that I had selected so it was time to improvise.  


Ta-Da!!  I had plenty of green and purple left over from the rest of the quilt that I just made more pinwheels for the corners.  It added an interesting element to the border and made the quilt that much more special to me.  Love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment